Thursday, February 09, 2006

30 seconds of fun!


This is a bit old, about a year out of date now, but here is the most recent version of my

Demo Reel



It basically includes two direct to videos: GI Joe and Action Man, cut scenes for Halo 2, and some shots from Anzovin's Duel short film. I'll be hopefully updating that at the end of the month.

Watching it recently, I'm surprised by how far I've come in the past year, even though I haven't had much opportunity to spend time improving. Granted, most of that stuff was animated at 10-15 seconds a week. But even since then, aside from the Animate! series, I haven't worked on a project that granted time to perfect the quality of the animation.

I'm beginning to suspect that just *animating a LOT* regardless of the amount of time you're given for a shot, can really improve your animation. Now, I'm not talking about just not caring and rushing through your work. I've been working on this ridiculously fast-paced project for almost a month now where I basically have to animate as fast as possible, regardless of quality. For me, that means I've been animating at a rate of about 25-35 seconds a week, with the amount increasing each week as I get better at it. But I've still been working very carefully and trying to make that animation worth watching.

I really don't see the point of working on something, ESPECIALLY animation, if you're not going to learn something from it and make it as good as you can. When this project started, I was really really bummed about purposely animating junky quality shots because of time constraints. So I tried to approach this project with the goal in the back of my head of doing good AND fast animation. And I've learned a lot. In fact, at this point I'm having fun with it and I've turned it into a contest with myself to animate as much as possible but still keep it as good as I can. Working so quickly has forced me to just animate straight ahead with no blocking and little planning. Which in turn, kind of reduces the stress of coming up with the right acting, and forces me to focus on just making the motion read well.

It has proven to be a very interesting excercise as I've become better and better at quickly creating animation that *works*. Especially in the little subtleties of making a talking head shot read well (I think I've animated about 40 seconds of talking heads so far this month), in quickly blocking a complicated walking or running around shot, or other physical shot. Obviously, none of it is too great, but surprisingly I feel as if I've still improved dramatically on this project from the sheer volume I've had to go through and that it will help me create much better animation when I have the time to apply what I've learned to high quality productions.

As soon as I'm allowed, I'll post the stuff from this game we're working on. Probably not for a few months though. :P

Yikes, long post. I apologize to my nonexistent readers. ;)
~Cristin

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 3:51:00 PM EST, Anonymous Nat said...

I dont exist?
Reader/s :P

 
At Monday, March 13, 2006 at 8:37:00 PM EST, Blogger Cristin McKee said...

My biggest fan ;)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Powered by WebRing.