Monday, April 10, 2006

Would you consider yourself an artist?

Faith Hubley never asked me much about myself. No personal questions aside from the usual "how are you?." I have no idea what Emily told her but I have the feeling that Faith didn't even know if I was interested in animation at all. I'm pretty sure I heard her remarking negatively about computer animation once and I was glad that she didn't seem to know. It's no surprise that she would have issue with digital animation considering her "computer" was a remarkably old electric typewriter *thing* that you could put disks into and type on a 2x4" screen, and she refused to upgrade.

Anyway, one day she completely took me by surprise with the question "would you consider yourself an artist?" It wasn't, "what are you studying? "what do you want to do with your life?" or your typical sort of questioning of an intern. Just that.

It took me by surprise because it was the most directly personal thing she had ever asked me and she never came close afterwards. She was looking at me expectantly and warmly and with a glint of curiosity in her eyes. She was obviously genuinely interested in my answer.

I hesitated for a moment and probably looked like a deer caught in the headlights. This is FAITH HUBLEY. She wants to know if I'm an artist. *panics*

"Well, I'm not sure. I don't think so. But I'd really like to be."

I don't know what she saw in that answer but she was obviously amused and happy with it because she smiled knowingly and warmly as if she knew something I didn't, and walked away. That is my strongest memory of Faith Hubley.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Powered by WebRing.