Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Just Keep Swimming

I wrote the following email to a friend recently who was worried about staying motivated and not giving up on animating. I think it's advice that I'd like to remind myself to listen to as well, so I'll post it here too.

The best I can say is that you aren't alone. I've given up on being an animator a few times, once after working at a studio for years. Sometimes you just don't think you are cut out to animate. But you are cut out to do whatever you are really dedicated to doing.

If you are having trouble on something big, try smaller exercises. I read on someone's blog once that they would do little exercises where the only point was to do one principle of animation and get that one principle working really well on super simple characters. Doing lots of different little tests can be better than spending 2 months on one thing. You learn faster and don't get sick of it.

If you have animation in progress right now that is hanging you up, and the motivation just isn't there... maybe pick a principle you think you're worst at and obsess over that one goal for a day. Get that principle right. Focusing on one thing can take away the pressure of all the rest of it and help you find fun ways to explore that principle that you perhaps never would have thought of otherwise.

The hard thing about being an animator is that even if you are really good, you still think you're bad. Cause it's hard. And you're always thinking, oh no, this next shot is way too hard, I can't do it. But that's a good thing, because then you try harder and do better and people watch it and are like holyshitthatsawesome. Let yourself enjoy the awesome work that you've created, revel in it, and then move on.

Good luck!

Cristin

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 6:37:00 PM EDT, Blogger sabby3481 said...

Great advice!

 
At Friday, January 13, 2012 at 4:11:00 PM EST, Blogger Showcasefloyd said...

I don't know why but reading this post, made me feel a whole lot better. Thanks so much for the good advice.

 
At Friday, January 13, 2012 at 4:14:00 PM EST, Blogger Cristin McKee said...

I'm glad! :)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Powered by WebRing.